​​​​​Armenian Catholic Church of Toronto  est. 1972

On April 24 2002, coinciding with the 1,700th anniversary of Armenian nation’s adoption of Christianity, the Armenian Ambassador in Canada the honorary Ara Babyan and other Armenian and local religious representatives, city officials and the faithful gathered in the parking lot of the church for the unveiling and blessing of the Memorial Monument in memory of 1.5 million martyrs of the Armenian Genocide: the monument stands at a five-meter-high mahogany granite cross-stone “Khatchkar” and a basalt black stone carved eagle. This magnificent monument was designed by renowned architect Mr. Hagop Janbazian, The monument holds the following bronze memorandum designed to immortalize the memory of the innocent martyrs:

April 24, 1915  - In memory of 1.5 million Armenians who perished in 1915 During the first genocide of the 20th century perpetrated by the Ottoman Turks 

Some remains of one-and-a-half million victims that were brought from the desert of Der Zor in Syria, were interred within the monument. This was made possible by the order of Pastor of the Armenian Apostolic Church in Toronto, Holy Father Shahe V. Panosian. Today the monument serves as a memorial to all peoples who are victims of genocide.

Page 1234, 5, 6

Today, the main altar of the church, the hall, the stained glass windows, the statues, the pewters and various sacred items bear the names of the benefactors.

In the evening, at the Prince Hyatt hotel’s elegant halls, a reception dinner was hosted to 700 invited guests. Once more, in a festive atmosphere $250,000.00 dollars were raised.

In this regard, the Patriarch honoured present Father Elias Kirijian with the title of Very Reverend, a high rank designation represented by the precious ring and cross. On this occasion Father Kirijian addressed the audience with a spiritually inspired speech.


From day one the church has become a spiritual, cultural, educational and religious centre of all Armenians living in Toronto and its suburbs. Over time, the church becomes a liaison to local Armenian communities, organizations and associations.